09 February 2011 09:54
E.ON’s Humber Gateway wind farm gets approval from government
E.ON has today (9 FEB) announced that Department for Energy and Climate and Change (DECC) has granted it planning approval to build the 230MW Humber Gateway Offshore wind farm.
The wind farm, to be located 8km off the Holderness Coast in the East Riding of Yorkshire, will have the capacity to provide up to 150,000 homes[i] with clean, renewable energy from up to 77 turbines.
Michael Lewis, Managing Director for E.ON's European renewables business, said: "This is really exciting news for us as we see offshore wind as an important part in the future energy mix of the UK.
"It's essential that we continue to invest in renewable technologies and this is further recognition of our expertise in the sector generally and in offshore wind in particular."
E.ON was granted onshore planning consent for a new substation on industrial land near Salt End earlier this year. The substation will connect the Humber Gateway wind farm to the national grid via 30km of underground cable.
Once operational, Humber Gateway will be E.ON's fifth offshore wind farm in the UK. The company already owns and operates the UK's first offshore wind farm off the cost of Blyth in Northumberland, Scroby Sands off the coast of Great Yarmouth, and one of the UK's largest offshore wind farms - Robin Rigg - in the Solway Firth. E.ON is also a partner in the London Array, which will be the world's largest offshore wind farm when built.
Almost half (40%) of all offshore wind turbines in Europe were developed by E.ON last year.
Notes to editors
 Based on an average annual domestic household consumption of 4,700 kWh (Source DECC)
- E.ON is one of the UK's leading power and gas companies - generating and distributing electricity, and retailing power and gas - and is part of the E.ON group, one of the world's largest investor-owned power and gas companies. We employ more than 15,000 people in the UK and more than 88,000 worldwide;
- E.ON's retail business is a leading energy supplier in the UK with around 5 million electricity and gas customers, covering domestic, SME and industrial. E.ON also offers central heating and boiler care;
- Our distribution business, branded Central Networks, provides a reliable supply to around 10 million people in central England through 133,000km of underground and overhead cables - enough to go round the Earth more than three times - and via almost 94,000 substations. The company covers an area from the Peak District in the north to parts of Bristol in the south, and from the Welsh Borders to the Lincolnshire Coast;
- The generation business produces enough electricity to cater for the needs of around eight million homes from a portfolio of world-class gas-, coal- and oil-fired power stations;
- We're a market leader in UK combined heat and power (CHP) with 12 sites supplying over 500MW of electricity and in excess of 900MW of heat;
- We're one of the leading green generators in the UK, with 21 wind farms located from Cambridgeshire to Kintyre;
- We recently launched our first wave power generator, which is the first in UK waters and which is capable of generating 750kW of renewable energy;
- Our target is to cut the carbon released by each kW of electricity we generate by 10% between 2005-2012, having already reduced it by 20% since 1990;
- We have 1,500MW of renewable capacity under development in the UK;
- In order to help people get ‘energy fit', we have installed over 630,000 cavity wall and loft installation measures since 2005, as well as energy efficient boilers and smart meters;
- E.ON's 14,000-strong ‘YourSay' panel gives customers the opportunity to share their opinions with E.ON on a range of energy-related topics. Panel members also help shape E.ON's products and services. To join the panel, visit www.eonenergy.com/yoursay;
- We are giving away £20m worth of cavity wall and loft insulation to E.ON customers aged 70+ or on qualifying benefits;
- E.ON is giving free cavity wall and loft insulation to households claiming Pension Credits and claimants of Child Tax Credit where the relevant income is less than £16,190 - whether they're an E.ON customer or not. Installing both cavity wall and loft insulation saves up to £340 a year and 14 million homes in UK are insufficiently insulated;
- We have just launched a special offer for those who don't qualify for free insulation with Cavity wall and loft insulation costing only £150 each;
- We are investing £50 million in new technologies and approaches over 10 years, through the Energy Technologies Institute;
- We have Biodiversity Action Plans at many of our sites which align us with the UK target of significantly reducing biodiversity loss;
- In the last 12 months, we've cut the amount of non-operational waste we send to landfill by 16% and we've reduced the amount of miles we drive for business by 20%;
- E.ON Group has announced it intends to reduced the carbon intensity of its generation by 50% by 2020 (on 1990 levels);
- E.ON Group aims to invest up to €3bn between 2011 and 2013 on renewable generation and climate protection activities.